Carb cycling is pretty common when you are on a cut.
It basically means, you are eating lower carbs daily for a length of time then
eat a day with higher carbs.
This is called a Refeed. Some people are good with a CHEAT meal (not cheat day).
A re-feed is a controlled carb up.
The simple reasons for a re-feed.
1. Your brain. Who doesn’t feel better when you get extra food!!
2. Hormone balance. Refeeds help to raise the hormone leptin. As you diet, those levels drop.
Refeeds keep your body burning optimally.
Well.. It seems like all fun and games but when you refeed, you would want to
1. keep your fats as low as possible.
2. Reduce your protein intake to 1g protein per pound of body weight.
3. Keep fructose low as it has no effect on leptin
4. Fiber is reduced on refeed day. Fiber slows digestion. Quickie carbs!
That’s an interesting place to be. What can you eat that isn’t fruit and doesn’t have a lot of fat?
Skinny pop is out! Boooo!
In my first prep, I was 1 million weeks out from my show and eating 50 carbs a day because that’s what my coach wanted me to do. OMG. My refeed day was 12 cups of cooked brown rice. There was no other option. I think I cried. GROSS. I don’t eat rice anymore.
Some people re-feed with pop tarts, cereal and fun things like that. That’s cool watch your fats on that.
Pasta, bread, sf ice cream, cream of wheat, grits.. see where I’m going? Pure startch.
I prefer froyo. I go low fat on that. I bring my own scale to the Froyo store!!
Sometimes I do…
What do you use for your re-feed day?
If you want to learn more about IIFYM for competition or lifestyle, visit
LEARNIIFYM and we will help you with our online classes!!